WHAT WE OFFER YOU…
What is the purpose of the Family Mediation Practicum Ontario?
The Ontario Association of Family Mediators (OAFM) Family Mediation Accreditation program requires 100 hours of practicum experience to become an Accredited Family Mediator. OAFM allows 80 of the 100 hours to be completed using simulated cases. We offer this online practicum experience to help new mediators obtain a maximum of 80 hours towards the 100 required hours. It is an opportunity to practice and develop skills using realistic case scenarios and the hours can be counted towards your accreditation.
Your final 20 hours of the practicum must be completed with real clients. Our Supervisors (on a limited basis) also offer the option of completing this final 20 hours. It is your responsibility to apply to OAFM for accreditation when you have completed the 100 hours.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
First, the prerequisite is that you complete all the required family mediation courses before applying for the practicum
a) 21 hours of Domestic Violence and Power Imbalance Screening;
b) 60 hours of mediation training (foundation course and advanced mediation course)
c) 21 hours of Family Law, for those who require it;
d) 21 hours of Family Relations, for those who require it.
If you are not clear on course requirements please contact OAFM.on.ca or firstname.lastname@example.org
Second, register and provide payment.
Third, you will join the online class on set dates.
Our Role Plays Are Based Upon A Variety Of Real Life Mediation Situations
Our Roster of experienced mediators will provide feedback and debriefing at each step.
STUDENT LEARNING EXPERIENCE
This practicum is all about skill development. The practice of mediation is a continual self-reflective learning experience. Students will have real time feedback, and be able to pause and rewind their effort.
It is only through trying different approaches and observing different mediators that mediators enhance their skills and develop their own authentic style.
WHO ARE THE TEAM SUPERVISORS?
Each Practicum Supervisor is an experienced Accredited Mediator. Some specialize in parenting plans and some in financial plans, or both parenting plans and financial, so you get the best of both.
You will have the opportunity to observe and practice with more than one Supervisor.
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT
You can now register and pay securely on our website. We will confirm your registration by email upon confirmation of your application meeting practicum prerequisites.
You have three choices for registration:
- 1. You can register for the entire practicum (80 hours)
- 2. You can register for the First Module (observation and co-mediation 40 hours only).
- 3. You can register for the Second Module (40 mediation hours) provided you completed the first 40 hours.
2023 Practicum Dates – Family Mediation Practicum Ontario
Module 1: Sept. 29, 30 + Oct. 5, 6 and 7 – COURSE FULL
Module 2: Oct. 20, 21 + Oct. 26, 26 and 28 – COURSE FULL
Module 1 AND Module 2 – COURSE FULL
$1500 plus HST for 40 hours of observation and co-mediation practicum. Offered in Fall, Winter, Spring and SummerRegister + Pay
$1500 plus HST for 40 hours of mediation practicum. ‘`Note – prerequisite is completion of Module One Offered in Fall, Winter, Spring, and SummerRegister + Pay
MODULE ONE AND TWO – 80 HOUR PRACTICUM
$2900 plus HST for 80 hours of practicum Offered in Fall, Winter, Spring and SummerRegister + Pay
CHANGE OF DATE, CANCELLATIONS, REFUNDS
Less than 14 days notice of change of date is subject to a $200 administration fee (+ HST).
You will receive a full refund up to 14 days in advance of the first date of the Module you registered for less the credit card fees (if any). Less than 14 days cancellation is subject to a $200 administration fee (+ HST) and the credit card fees (if any). Once you have started the practicum, there is no refund provided, however, you may be able to move your uncompleted days to the next offering with an administration fee of $200.00 (+ HST).
All notices must go to email@example.com
Family Mediation Practicum Ontario reserves the right to cancel the practicum and should that happen, students will be refunded or offered a credit to attend another training date.
WILL THE PRACTICUM BE OFFERED AGAIN?
We offer this practicum for September, January and April each year, as well as a summer registration. Simply register for the next opportunity. Sign up early as registration is limited!
ABOUT THE PRACTICUM SUPERVISORS
BA, MSW, RSW, Acc. F.M. (OAFM), Cert. Elder Med. (FMC)
- Accredited Family Mediator (OAFM since 2015)
- Accredited Elder Mediator (OAFM since 2019)
- Supervised OAFM Mediators (2016)
- Coach, Family Mediation Program, York University (2018-2021)
- Member of Ontario Association of Family Mediation
- Registered Social Worker (1980). Work experience includes both administrative and clinical roles in mental health, addictions, crisis intervention, trauma, older adults, women and children’s health, and physician health
- Provision of direct social work services with individuals, couples, and families (1980)
- Strong focus on diversity, inclusion, and equity and chaired Diversity Committee for Mental Health and Addiction Program.
BA, CFP, FDS, Acc. F.M. (OAFM)
- Certified Financial Divorce Specialist
- Accredited Financial Family Mediator
- 10 years of mediation training and 30 years of financial training
- Financial training for mediators through various workshops
- Supervised new interns for over 5 years
BA, LLB, Acc. F.M. (OAFM)
- Accredited Family Mediator and Family Lawyer
- Called to the Bar of Ontario in 2000
- Sole practice of family mediation and family law for 16 years
- Supervise OAFM Mediators and Practicum Students
- Teach Family Law course for Family Mediation Course, Continuing Education, York University
Acc.Fm, CP Med OAFM
- Doxtdator, Wolf Clan, Cayuga Nation Haudenosaunee Six Nations.
- Accredited Family Mediator
- Indigenous Dispute Resolution (IDR) Facilitator/Trainer
- Restorative Justice Facilitator/Trainer
- Child Protection Mediator
- Farmer and Reiki Practitioner
B.A., Q. Med, Acc. F.M. (OAFM), Cert ODR (OAFM)
- President, Spectra Mediation, Mediator, Conflict Coach & Trainer
- Coach for York University –Family Mediation & Dispute Resolution certificates
- Independent Complaint Facilitator, LHIN Roster (ADRIO)
Family and Elder Mediator
- Accredited Family Mediator (OAFM)
- Accredited (nationally) Elder Mediator (FMC)
- Accredited Elder Mediator (OAFM)
- Founder ML Trottier Mediation – 10 years
- Court-Based Onsite and Offsite (Family) Mediator
- Community Justice Initiatives (CJI) volunteer Family and Elder Mediator (previous)
- Supervisor of student mediators
- Certified with “Circle Peacemaking Process” Training
- Associate Professor in Early Childhood Education, Family Studies and Field Placement Supervisor – Conestoga College (previous)
- Multiple certifications in Brain-Based Learning, Brain Development, Early Literacy and Language Development, Emotional Intelligence (EI), Brain-Gym
- Adult Educator, Instructor, Trainer and SME Speaker – 28+ years
B.A., LL.B., Acc. F.M.(OAFM)
- Accredited Family Mediator (OAFM) since 2014
- Practicing law in Ontario since 1997
- Member of Ontario Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Member of Collaborative Practice Toronto Group
- Member of Hamilton Halton Collaborative Practice group
- Fluent in Italian